Thursday, April 7, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • April 5

It was a cloudy and very windy 38F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. Due to the high winds, I *really* thought today would be a flop in the birding category, but it wasn't that bad after all. By the time I had reached the creek, I only had five species and six individuals total. The creek was running high and fast and very turbid to the point of being light brown from suspended mud. Certainly no waterfowl would be out in that! So, I strode confidently out onto the bridge and flushed the Great Blue Heron that was standing by the base of the bridge. :-) This was my first Great Blue of the season for Oatka. I headed out into the fields of Black Billed Cuckoo Trail as snow flurries started to fall. (Enough already!) In a small stand of Quaking Aspens, I found an Eastern Bluebird inspecting tree cavities. A Hairy Woodpecker came over and joined the party for a photo-op. Moving on to Bluebird Trail, I found a pair of bluebirds on and around the favored nesting box for this year. Eventually reaching Maple Hill, as I reached the first footbridge, I looked up into the sky and saw a Red-tailed Hawk soaring in my general direction. It noticed me right away and altered its direction away from me. Coming down off the hill on the far side and approaching the swampy area at the base of the hill, a Red-winged Blackbird flew into the swamp with alarm "chack"s to let everyone know of my approaching presence. That was enough for a pair of Wood Duck who immediately took to the air. When I finally made it back to the dirt road leading to the parking lot, I passed a very vocal White-breasted Nuthatch and spotted my lone Turkey Vulture for the evening.




Great Blue Heron


Hairy Woodpecker


Eastern Bluebird


Eastern Bluebird


Eastern Bluebird


Eastern Bluebird


Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     4/5/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     16


Wood Duck     2
Great Blue Heron     1
Turkey Vulture     1
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Downy Woodpecker     1
Hairy Woodpecker     2
Blue Jay     1
American Crow     7
Black-capped Chickadee     9
Tufted Titmouse     1
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Eastern Bluebird     3
American Robin     2
Song Sparrow     1
Northern Cardinal     1
Red-winged Blackbird     4


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)