Thursday, April 7, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • April 4

It was a cloudy and windy 67F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. The windy conditions seemed to suggest that the birding would be a flop, but it turned out pretty good, actually! As I entered Warbler Loop, a sparrow "seep"ed at me from some of the tall shrubs. Wanting to get a peek at the bird, I spished a bit to get just a brief look. However, the sparrow refused to show itself, though its calls were persistent. After a few moments I conceded the game to the bird and moved on. A few steps down the trail I involuntarily looked back over my right shoulder and there was a beautiful Fox Sparrow, sitting atop the foliage, "seep"ing away! As I brought up my camera, it, unfortunately, flew away. On the far side of the Loop, after inspecting a birdless creek, a pair of Golden-crowned Kinglets worked their way across the trail a few feet from me. The copse along Bluebird Trail was a very happening place tonight! At first I was happy just getting some nice bluebird pictures and hearing a junco. As I put my camera down and looked to my right, I was staring right at an Eastern Phoebe. It refused the offer of a photo-op, however. No matter, for as I noted the first of a couple Killdeers in the area, a high-pitched call alerted me to the presence of a Cedar Waxwing, essentially right over my head. Soon, ten more waxwings flew into the copse and looked content to rest there a while, in rather close vicinity to me. After several pictures I moved on. Inspecting the swamp at the base of Maple Hill, I carefully scanned everywhere for Wood Ducks. Everywhere, except right under my nose. Suddenly, a pair exploded into the air from the water's edge near where I was standing. :-) The final surprise occurred when finishing up White Tail Trail in a wet portion near the woods. The loud "kit-kit"s of a Winter Wren burst onto the scene and with some searching I caught a brief glance of the small brown bird. Great night!




Eastern Bluebird


American Robin


Cedar Waxwing


Cedar Waxwing


Cedar Waxwing


Northern Cardinal


Turkey Vulture


White Tail Deer


Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     4/4/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     22


Canada Goose     2
Wood Duck     2
Turkey Vulture     5
Killdeer     2
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     2
Eastern Phoebe     1
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     5
Black-capped Chickadee     6
Tufted Titmouse     2
Winter Wren     1
Golden-crowned Kinglet     2
Eastern Bluebird     1
American Robin     16
Cedar Waxwing     11
Fox Sparrow     1
Song Sparrow     3
Dark-eyed Junco     1
Northern Cardinal     14
Red-winged Blackbird     6
Common Grackle     1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)