Thursday, March 31, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • March 30

It was a partially sunny and 50F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. Things had started off promisingly with a Great Blue Heron soaring over Rochester Technology Park (the former Kodak Elmgrove Plant) on my drive home. At Oatka, I was a bit fixated on finding Wood Ducks, so, naturally, I didn't find them. Or maybe I did. By the marshy area along the dirt road leading into the woods, I heard what I thought was the stuttering calls of female Wood Ducks, though there was just enough of a mismatch with my iPod recording that I wondered. I bushwhacked deeply into the brush tonight and finally made it around the marsh and onto the far edge where the calls originated. The calls receded from me just like secretive ducks, but I was never able to get even a glance of the sources. At this point I decided to head up to the creek and walk from the dam ruins all the way back to the bridge. Unfortunately, the creek was devoid of birds, except for a couple crows and a few Blue Jays. Resuming my normal route at that point, I eventually found a female Eastern Bluebird on her chosen nesting box along Bluebird Trail. A while later I was on the final section of White Tail Trail when a large vortex of Turkey Vultures formed: 20+, all soaring in a large column. One final pass by the marsh on the way out revealed little more than Red-winged Blackbirds and robins. As a consolation prize on the drive home, a Northern Mockingbird flew across the road in front of my car, white patches clearly visible on its outstretched gray wings! :-)




White-throated Sparrow


Eastern Bluebird


Eastern Bluebird


Eastern Bluebird


Northern Cardinal


Turkey Vultures


Location:     Rochester Technology Park
Observation date:     3/30/11
Number of species:     1


Great Blue Heron     1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)


Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     3/30/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     19


Canada Goose     16
Mallard     4
Turkey Vulture     24
Mourning Dove     1
Downy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     2
Blue Jay     7
American Crow     25
Black-capped Chickadee     8
Tufted Titmouse     3
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     1
Eastern Bluebird     1
American Robin     9
Song Sparrow     2
White-throated Sparrow     4
Dark-eyed Junco     1
Northern Cardinal     9
Red-winged Blackbird     7


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)


Location:     Morgan Rd and Union St
Observation date:     3/30/11
Number of species:     1


Northern Mockingbird     1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)