Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • March 29

It was a mostly sunny and 46F late afternoon birding hike in Oatka today. It was another day of light bird activity that picked up a bit near the end. As I passed the marshy area along the dirt road heading into the woods, I heard some bird vocalizations I didn't recognize. Walking to the edge of the water didn't reveal the source of the calls, as they seemed well hidden in the reeds. The mystery would be solved on the way out some two and a half hours later. Wanting to get a different view into the marsh, I took Brown Creeper Trail to see if I could enter from the opposite direction. Unfortunately, the brambles along this trail were too thick and the thorns too painful to make much progress into the marsh. Turning around to extract myself from the foliage, a Carolina Wren first called and then sang *very* loudly! It seemed to be a mere few feet away from me, though the thick foliage gave it enough cover that no amount of searching on my part revealed the songster, even with the aid of its continual singing. Returning to the main trail, the remainder of the hike through the park was unremarkable. Returning past the marsh on the way back to the parking lot, I heard different calls and then everything snapped into place: Wood Ducks; female Wood Duck calls in this case. A quick trip to the water's edge revealed a pair of Wood Ducks taking to flight from the water. A search of my Audubon iPod app revealed a sound clip for "female stuttering calls", complete with Red-winged Blackbirds in the background. That matched what I had heard (Wood Ducks and Red-winged Blackbirds) when I passed the area at the beginning of my hike.




Eastern Chipmunk


American Robin


Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     3/29/11
Notes:      
Number of species:     15


Wood Duck     2
Mallard     2
Turkey Vulture     8
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Blue Jay     5
American Crow     9
Black-capped Chickadee     7
Tufted Titmouse     2
White-breasted Nuthatch     2
Carolina Wren     1
American Robin     7
Song Sparrow     1
Northern Cardinal     6
Red-winged Blackbird     6
Common Grackle     1


This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)