Friday, February 11, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • February 9

It was a sunny, clear blue sky, and windy 26F sunset birding hike in Oatka today. It felt *much* colder due to the wind chill factor. Because I was getting started about a half-hour later than usual, I made a surgical strike down to the creek and back. The dirt road to the woods was empty of birds. Black Billed Cuckoo Trail was similarly sparse, with only a Hairy Woodpecker and a Golden-crowned Kinglet in attendance. Gypsum Hollow Trail was quiet except for another Hairy Woodpecker. Sapsucker Trail revealed a few Mallards in the creek, and a Downy Woodpecker in the trees. Reversing my direction, I headed to the bridge over the creek, picking up a cardinal along the way. Once on the bridge, a kingfisher launched from its perch and flew downstream, as another Downy Woodpecker tweaked out an alarm call. Retreating from the bridge, I headed back towards the parking lot with only a single Black-capped Chickadee to add to the list along the way. On the dirt road as I approached the parking lot, I started hearing the chips of American Tree Sparrows. This eventually resulted in a nice photo-op with one of the birds. As I finished taking pictures and walked to my car, the sparrows flew away, serenading me with bits of their jingling vocalizations.

Mallards

American Tree Sparrow

Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     2/9/11
Number of species:     9

Mallard     10
Belted Kingfisher     1
Downy Woodpecker     2
Hairy Woodpecker     3
Black-capped Chickadee     1
Golden-crowned Kinglet     1
American Tree Sparrow     2
White-throated Sparrow     3
Northern Cardinal     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(
http://ebird.org)