Monday, February 21, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • February 21

It was a cloudy and cold 16F sunset hike in Oatka today. It was an extremely quiet night, bird-wise, with only a few scattered individuals. Black Billed Cuckoo Trail produced a nuthatch, a few crows, and a Hairy Woodpecker. Warbler Loop started off with a chickadee. When I reached the creek, I was momentarily startled when several bluebirds suddenly flew in front of me about six feet away at eye level from the creek into the Loop. Reaching the bridge over the creek, the water level has receded a tad, though large parts of Trout Run Trail are still under water. Finding no birds, I turned around and headed to Gypsum Hollow and then Sapsucker Trails. On Sapsucker I picked up a titmouse and more chickadees. I then saw the resident Red-tailed Hawk move from my side of the creek to the opposite side. I squeezed off a few pictures by peering through the intervening tree limbs. Before I could get an unobstructed shot, it moved again to another perch further downstream. Heading south, I eventually reached White Tail Trail where a Downy Woodpecker and a Pileated Woodpecker were in attendance. I hiked around some more after that, but the only notable sighting was a pair of deer bedded down in the tall grass. I took that as a cue to wrap things up and head home myself.

Warbler Loop

Ice along Oatka Creek

Sapsucker Trail

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     2/21/11
Number of species:     9

Red-tailed Hawk     1
Downy Woodpecker     1
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1
American Crow     9
Black-capped Chickadee     5
Tufted Titmouse     1
White-breasted Nuthatch     2
Eastern Bluebird     6

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(
http://ebird.org)