Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • February 16

It was a mostly sunny and 47F sunset hike in Oatka today. It was a very quiet evening, bird-wise. Perhaps most of the birds used the nice weather to leave the park to forage for food over a wider range and will return sometime after sunset to roost. (I left 17 minutes before actual sunset.) As I crossed the Union Street bridge over the creek in my car, a Red-tailed Hawk flew across the road at treetop level. Since this flight would have been clearly visible within the park from Trout Run Trail, I counted it as "in" the park. :-) Walking in to the woods from the parking lot, I heard crows, a chickadee, a nuthatch, and a very *loud* and persistent Carolina Wren. It was tantalizingly close to the dirt road, but even so I was unable to spot it visually despite several moments of searching. Entering Black Billed Cuckoo Trail, the drumming in the distance of a Pileated Woodpecker caught my attention and would sporadically return to my awareness throughout my walk tonight. After hearing a Downy Woodpecker, things would quiet down until I eventually reached Gypsum Hollow Trail. (The creek was devoid of birds tonight.) A kinglet passed by as I entered Gypsum Hollow and a flicker called in the distance. Sapsucker Trail was quiet going in and the silence of the return trip was broken only by a titmouse and a Red-bellied Woodpecker. Heading back towards the parking lot and being ahead of schedule due to lack of bird activity, I turned off at White Tail Trail to check out the field environment in the southern part of the park. Except for a trio of chickadees and a single cardinal, this trail was empty, too. The one nice sighting was introduced by the calls of the Pileated Woodpecker, followed by a nice long flyby. After that, I would encounter one more titmouse on my way back to the car.


Northern Cardinal

Moon

Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     2/16/11
Number of species:     12

Red-tailed Hawk     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Downy Woodpecker     3
Northern Flicker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     1
American Crow     8
Black-capped Chickadee     5
Tufted Titmouse     2
White-breasted Nuthatch     2
Carolina Wren     2
Golden-crowned Kinglet     1
Northern Cardinal     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(
http://ebird.org)