Sunday, February 13, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • February 12

It was a mostly sunny and clear 33F early afternoon hike in Oatka today. It was extremely windy, though it was a warm wind. While walking was pleasant, it was too windy for most birds to perch in the open. The road into the woods and Black Billed Cuckoo Trail were devoid of birds. As I entered Warbler Loop, I saw a group of six bluebirds in a small tree right by the entrance to the trail. As I stood still and took pictures, a female bluebird worked its way towards me through the brambles. This resulted in some very nice shots! Reaching the creek, I headed into Gypsum Hollow Trail. Once back in the woods, I saw several Mallards in the creek followed by a pair of kinglets that came up to me for an extended visit. Like a couple days ago, these birds came within 4 feet or so at one point. Farther in on Sapsucker Trail, I found no birds, though I did find coyote tracks all along this part of the trail. My tracks from last night had been obliterated by the morning snow, so these tracks were recent. Turning around and eventually reaching the bridge, I saw a Belted Kingfisher flying through the edge of the woods and then a tight flock of Cedar Waxwings maneuvering along the creek. Crossing over to Trout Run Trail, I picked up a Downy Woodpecker. Then I saw some funny-looking light brown feathers peeking out from behind a tree about six feet in front of me. The feathers were in disarray due to the wind. The owner collected itself and then flew to an unobstructed perch about a foot closer: a Carolina Wren. It gave me a great photo-op! A flock of robins later on passed along the creek. Things quieted down until I eventually returned to the bridge where there was a small flock of bluebirds. Something suggested to me these were the same ones I had seen earlier. Continuing on to Woodland Trail, I found more Mallards and then some Canada Geese in the creek. Aside from a Red-bellied Woodpecker, that would be it for the rest of the walk.

Click on the pictures for larger versions!

Eastern Bluebirds

Eastern Bluebirds

Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Bluebird

Eastern Bluebird

Golden-crowned Kinglet. Out-of-focus, of course, but the colorations in the crown are vividly seen.

Carolina Wren

Carolina Wren

Carolina Wren

Carolina Wren

Carolina Wren

Carolina Wren

American Robin

Golden-crowned Kinglet in one of the Northern White-cedar trees that line the southern bank of Oatka Creek

Canada Geese trying to avoid detection

Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     2/12/11
Number of species:     11

Canada Goose     7
Mallard     25
Belted Kingfisher     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Downy Woodpecker     2
American Crow     17
Carolina Wren     1
Golden-crowned Kinglet     3
Eastern Bluebird     6
American Robin     25
Cedar Waxwing     30

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(
http://ebird.org)