Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oatka Creek Park • February 1

It was a cloudy and lightly snowing, 22F sunset birding hike in Oatka today. It was a very quiet walk with most of the birds, presumably, in shelter for the night. A few crows called out on my walk down the dirt road to the woods. Once inside the edge of the woods, a kinglet came up to me, seemingly more to satisfy its curiosity than anything else. It flutter about at eye level at about a range of 10 feet or so until I turned and headed up Black Billed Cuckoo Trail. Once again, I headed directly to the location where I had found the sapsucker on Sunday, but no birdlife at all was found in that region. Retracing my steps towards the bridge, I heard drumming coming from the other bank of the creek. It was too high in pitch for a pileated woodpecker and too rhythmically even for a sapsucker. Coincidentally, I had hairy woodpecker vocalizations cued up in my iPod, and the drumming matched the hairy's drumming, but I felt that was not unique enough to be diagnostic. Chickadees and a bona fide hairy woodpecker checked in as I continued along. Reaching the creek, there was a mixed flock of mallards, Canada geese, and a black duck huddled together near the bank. The geese eyed me warily, while the ducks swam a few feet away and then spent more of their time upended in the water than anything else. :-) Returning through Warbler Loop, the chips of a cardinal and the calls of flicker were all I encountered. A lone robin called as I returned to Black Billed Cuckoo Trail, and the kinglet was still there when I exited the woods.

American black duck (back), Mallard (front)

American black duck

Canada goose

Canada geese, mallards, American black duck

Location:     Oatka Creek Park
Observation date:     2/1/11
Number of species:     10

Canada Goose     3
American Black Duck     1
Mallard     9
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
American Crow     8
Black-capped Chickadee     4
Golden-crowned Kinglet     1
American Robin     1
Northern Cardinal     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(
http://ebird.org)